Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments. Get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions t to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go for a Drive
- A Swiss artist is suing GM for featuring his mural in social media ads.
- A former Apple employee has been charged with theft of trade secrets after allegedly copying more than 40GB of intellectual property onto his wife's laptop.
- The NLRB issued a memo regarding the legality of Lyft's employee intellectual property policy.
Stranger Than Fiction
- Elon Musk and an artist have resolved their copyright dispute over an image of a farting unicorn.
- Amazon's "dwarf-tossing robot patent" is not sitting well with the Little People of America organization.
- "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should," especially when that thing is issuing a judgment in a comic sans style font.
- Ed Sheeran is currently involved in a lawsuit over alleged infringement of "Let's Get It On." The lawsuit is much weirder than you may think.
For Your Inner Child
- America's most popular toy is being counterfeited, and the toymaker wants to find out who is responsible. The toymaker and journalists' search for the culprit has been incredibly difficult.
- It is shark week! Here is a brief history of this shark celebration and some shark protection patents.
- At Comic Con, the new Shazam! movie had some fans confused over the lead character's name, which is fair given the character's confusing history, name change, and a copyright lawsuit.
Odds and Ends
- A Philly snackfood has led to a good bit of legal drama.
- TTAB recently held that great-grandson of Guccio Gucci may not register his Umberto Gucci marks due to a likelihood of confusion.
- The Copyright Office rejected General Mills' attempt to register Larabar packaging, citing a lack of creativity.
- The UKIPO released their plans for protecting EU trademarks post-Brexit.
See you next week!
Hannah from Alt Legal
Schedule a demo or training here.