Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for Answers
- What is the most significant unresolved legal issue in trademark licensing?
- Here is a video primer on why knockoffs are often legal and the ongoing fight against them.
- This article about how police will solve murder on Mars raises several interesting jurisdictional questions. Some of those same jurisdictional questions apply to the creation of intellectual property in space.
- The German Supreme Court is seeking European guidance on a YouTube copyright ruling.
- When it comes to copyright infringement, is lawyering up always the right move?
- A poke restaurant's trademark enforcement is not sitting well with native Hawaiian activists.
Put Your Guard Up
- What would a blockchain patent war look like?
- The moment of suspense when you drop your phone and carefully pick it up, bracing for a shattered screen, may become a thing of the past.
- Outrage over this patent caused an Amazon employee to assure the public that even bad ideas get submitted for patents.
Odds and Ends
- The European Union approved their controversial copyright directive. The man behind the legislation was surprised by what was in the proposal.
- Could AI help patent examiners sift through ideas to determine what is truly new?
- The inventors of Gatorade have made quite a bit in royalties. The University of Florida is still making money off the drink as well, although they believe they shouldn't have to share.
- Designers are protesting a new US policy that makes it more difficult to copyright typefaces.
See you next week!
Hannah from Alt Legal