Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to email@example.com.
Schedule a demo or training here.
- The Satanic Temple settled their $50 million lawsuit against Netflix.
- The makers of Scream are suing a Boston Celtics player for using the mask image on his "Scary Terry" merch.
- Do patents have souls? Are they creepy?
- The third largest wave of American innovation may be coming to a close.
- What if you could experience VR but without the walking? Google's new patent could skate users through alternate realities.
- Clap on, clap off technology was mostly used for lighting... until now.
Some Recognizable Names
- A joke stealing lawsuit against Conan O'Brien is moving forward.
- If Kobe Bryant is required to testify in an ongoing trademark lawsuit, his lawyers say he will take inspiration from Lil Wayne.
- Levi Strauss is suing Yves Saint Laurent over their pocket tab design.
- Louis Vuitton has a strategic approach to brand protection.
Odds and Ends
- Check out this interesting long read on copyright's male gaze.
- In a scathing opinion, a judge accused a copyright troll of treating his court "like an ATM."
- Two inventors are questioning whether the shut down of a government program is still affecting patent decisions.
- Amazon is working with the USPTO to address bad actors who are altering trademark data.
- Who knew there are so many patents behind pumpkin pie?
See you next week!
Hannah from Alt Legal