Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule a demo or training here.
You Win Some. You Lose Some.
- Beyoncé's summary judgment request in her ongoing dispute against Feyoncé was denied.
- Anish Kapoor, the maker of Cloud Gate (or as I call it, The Bean), is declaring victory against the NRA.
- To celebrate obtaining a trademark registration for a sound, Zippo launched a global ASMR campaign.
Across the Pond
- Tech giants are publicly coming out against the EU's new Copyright Directive.
- Cadbury was unsuccessful in their attempt to expand their trademark rights in Pantone 2685C.
- Cyprus lost a halloumi trademark in the UK after a "series of blunders." One government official called this failure to take action an "act of suicide."
- Japan is extending the country's copyright term before the end of the year.
- Singapore granted its first accelerated patent under the country's FinTech Fast Track initiative.
- WIPO released some updated stats and figures for global IP activity in 2017.
Odds and Ends
- A rapper is suing a video game maker for using his signature dance move, the Milly Rock, in Fortnite.
- Off-White is suing a children's clothing company, which caters to "hypebeasts under the age of 10," for trademark infringement.
- Should game theory guide patent prosecution decisions?
- I was recently a guest on Above the Law's "From the Inside Out" podcast series. So, as a shameless plug, check out the episode here!
See you next week!
Hannah from Alt Legal