Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule a demo or training here.
- An artist is suing Ariana Grande for copyright infringement of one of his artworks in the music video for "God is a Woman."
- The Kardashians are already planning their children's empires.
- The Copyright Office will not grant protection to the Carlton dance. The dance is part of ongoing litigation against the creators of Fortnite.
- A former Coca-Cola employee has been charged with attempted theft of trade secrets valued at almost $120 million.
- Capri Sun is claiming a competitor's drink packaging infringes on Capri Sun's protected pouch container.
- Thanks to the Cadbury brothers' failure to seek IP protection in 1868, the heart-shaped chocolate box was born.
Around the World
- Japan will likely make all copyright infringement a criminal offense.
- What is a "legal fake" brand, and how does it continue to exist?
- A Birmingham man's dispute with the USPS over a system for processing undeliverable mail is heading to the Supreme Court.
Odds and Ends
- R.E.M. successfully used copyright to get one of the President's tweets removed.
- A brand wants to register a green sole as a trademark and is using Louboutin's drawings to try to do so.
- UPS is suing several cannabis delivery companies for trademark infringement.
- Many women contributed to science but were buried in the footnotes.
See you next week!
Hannah from Alt Legal