Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to email@example.com.
Schedule a demo or training here.
You can now subscribe to our podcast, Alt Trademarks, on iTunes and Google Play. Our most recent episode featured Ed Timberlake and we discussed his time as an examiner as well as some more unique trademarks.
Gender and the Law
- The New York Law Journal released a list honoring the Top Women in Law for 2016. Congratulations to all the women who made the list and all those that continue to fight for gender equality in the legal field.
- The first woman to be granted a patent was Mary Kies. Her invention was a “a new and useful improvement in weaving straw with silk or thread.” Can you guess when she got the patent?
- The IP Diversity Task Force has launched a new network for women.
- A WIPO report found that the number of women inventors is on the rise, despite a persisting gender gap. Read the full report here.
As the Dust Settles...
- Sony has applied for a patent for measuring the veracity of reporters.
- Tech giants have begun voicing their opinions on several key issues, including copyright, encryption, and net neutrality.
- Facebook and Google have now decided to ban fake news from their platforms.
That's All Folks!
- TTAB just canceled the mark "Lord of the Wings" and they used a 37 page opinion to do so.
- Dr. Seuss Enterprises is suing over a Dr. Seuss and Star Trek mashup.
- Disney is the target of a patent infringement lawsuit for a broadcasting content storage system.
Odds and Ends
- Join Alt Legal and MyCase Thursday for a free webinar on how to start and grow an IP practice. You can find more information about the webinar here.
- The number of trademark applications being filed in Cuba is increasing at a rapid pace.
- Soon you may be able to fold your iPhone, which hopefully means crack proof screens are coming soon too.
- Amazon has filed a landmark suit against individual counterfeit sellers.
See you next time!
The Alt Legal Team