Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to email@example.com.
Schedule a demo or training here.
The Wide World of Sports
- Spanish soccer club Valencia is being targeted by DC Comics, who claims their club logo for being too similar to the Batman symbol.
- Could the city of Baltimore forcefully acquire Preakness trademarks to keep the famous horse race in the city?
- March Madness is more than just brackets; the NCAA has more than two dozen trademarks related to the month-long basketball tournament.
- A strawberry breeder who was found to have committed willful patent infringement in 2017 is in another legal jam after being sued in a second strawberry-related case.
- Food providers and companies are using blockchain technology to prevent the distribution of counterfeit olive oils, whiskeys, and other food products.
- Herbalists are asking the courts to determine who has the right to sell fire cider and to use the term "fire cider."
Crime and Punishment
- A startup company that was once at the center of an investment fraud investigation has changed its name and is focusing on enforcing its large patent portfolio.
- Tesla has filed a lawsuit against a former engineer for stealing data and taking it to a Chinese autonomous-vehicle company.
- Intellectual property theft is becoming a worldwide problem.
Odds and Ends
- Alt Legal is going to California! Check out some of the networking events and happy hours we will be hosting next week!