Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to email@example.com. Schedule a demo or training here.
Listen to the Music
- Music streaming company Spotify settled two copyright infringement lawsuits and will shell out more than $40 million to songwriters.
- Universal Music Group, which owns the famous "Motown" trademark, is looking to prevent boy band O-Town from continuing to use their name.
- Is there a legal loophole that leaves famous guitar riffs without copyright protection?
- Huawei has issued a warning to not politicize global intellectual property issues.
- IBM recently received a patent for a smartwatch that can turn into a smartphone or tablet.
Around the World
- Brazil has joined WIPO's Madrid Protocol, increasing the number of member countries to 121.
- A trademark bill passed in Malaysia will allow applicants to register scent, sound, and color marks.
- The EUIPO released a short documentary film about IP and many think it's bad propaganda.
Odds and Ends
- One of Japan's most wanted fugitives for copyright infringement was caught and arrested.
- Can you guess how many trademark applications and registrations the Kardashians have?
- Here's how Xerox used trademarks and patents to prevent "anyone from copying its copiers."
See you next week!
Justin from Alt Legal