Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule a demo or training here.
- In New York, David Chang has paired up with Impossible Foods to serve the Impossible Burger. It's made completely of plant products but supposedly smells, tastes, and looks (even "bleeding" beet juice) very much like beef. Check out the Impossible patents for cheese replicas, the formation of the aroma profile, and a method for secretion of heme-containing polypeptides.
- Bon Apetit compiled some interesting food patents, ranging from a combination hot dog hamburger bun to chloroform infused hard candy.
- The creator of Sriracha isn't interested in trademarking the name of the hot sauce or going after those who use it.
- There's a lot of buzz (pun intended) over the rights to the manuka honey name.
- Copyright infringement in the design world isn't new. But now an alarming number of indie designers are speaking out.
- Victor Miller, story writer and character creator, wants to reclaim ownership to his rights in Friday the 13th.
- The USPTO launched the Cancer Moonshoot Challenge, which is a great opportunity to use IP data for good.
- IP Frontline analyzed some PTAB statistics to identify trends, including an increase in the popularity of IPR (inter partes review) and CRM (covered business method) petitions.
Odds and Ends
- Apparently, the key to productivity might be starting work at 4am. We'll let you try this tip and tell us how it goes.
- Does the EpiPen debacle remind you of another drastic spike in drug prices? Many people are increasingly concerned about pharma patent monopolies. Unsurprisingly, Martin Shkreli also had something to say about what is happening with EpiPen.
- The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit is letting Trader Joe's continue their lawsuit against Pirate Joe's for trademark infringement.
- Based in New York? We are hosting an attorney meetup on September 22nd in NYC and would love if you'd join us. Find more info here.
See you next time!
The Alt Legal Team