Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule a demo or training here.
You can now subscribe to our podcast, Alt Trademarks, on iTunes and Google Play. Our latest episode features Radiance Harris of Radiance IP Law in Washington DC. We discuss hashtag trademarks and tips for introverted attorneys.
High Brow / Low Brow
- On the heels of Michael Jordan's Chinese trademark victory, BMW has also won in the Chinese IP court.
- Louis Vuitton lost a nearly two year long battle with a tote bag company after a court found that mimicking the LV mark didn't support an infringement claim.
- Jagermeister holds several trademarks but the company is using one to oppose a new basketball logo.
IP & AI
- Who owns the rights to IP in the age of AI?
Snap It, Post It, Like It
- Can you guess which IP firms are most active on social media?
- A lawyer rewrote the Instagram terms of service so that even a child could understand their rights. One child's reaction? "I'm deleting Instagram because it's weird." Starts on page 10.
Odds and Ends
- Harley Davidson is suing Urban Outfitters over "reconstructed bodysuits," some made from Harley garments.
- As we have covered before, cannabis businesses have a difficult time getting rights to their IP. But some companies are just repurposing popular IP for their brands.
- Is there really iron in your cereal? Yes, as you can see in this video. Of course, there's a patent for that.
See you next time!
The Alt Legal Team