Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to email@example.com.
Schedule a demo or training here.
You can now subscribe to our podcast, Alt Trademarks, on iTunes and Google Play. Our latest episode features Radiance Harris of Radiance IP Law in Washington DC. We discuss hashtag trademarks and tips for introverted attorneys.
Trolls Will Be Trolls
- A South Beach firm has sued for copyright infringement over the use of a picture of a bowl of black beans, citing the $8,000 fee they requested as "reasonable."
- The latest person standing up to patent trolls? Kate Hudson (or at least her "fabletics" company).
- The original patent troll firm is shutting down and starting anew.
A Trekkie, a Quarterback and a Cake Maker
- A settlement in a copyright case, means a Star Trek fan film can resume production (as long as it remains a "fan film").
- Did the cake at the inauguration look familiar to you? It was a striking replica of Obama's cake from the 2012 inauguration. But is a cake design protected by copyright?
- If you know anyone from Texas, you know they love their football (Hook 'em!). Texas A&M is facing a lawsuit after they published the story of the original 12th man without permission.
- Trump's administration has introduced a new concept called "alternative facts." Consequently several individual filed trademarks that are a form of "alternative flattery."
- The question everyone wants answered: Will she stay or will she go?
- Many changes have already been set in motion by the new administration. What is in store for the trademark community?
Odds and Ends
- Everyone loves Girl Scout cookies, including individuals partial to munchies. But the Girl Scouts have put an end to the informal relationship between their cookies and marijuana branding.
- Just for fun: A sketch from this week's episode of SNL pokes fun at the fact that not all lawyers are created equal.
- The Slants case has kicked off at the Supreme Court. The oral argument is an interesting read. Here is a highlight of the key questions raised in case you don't have time to read the entire argument.
See you next time!
The Alt Legal Team