Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to email@example.com.
Schedule a demo or training here.
You can now subscribe to our podcast, Alt Trademarks, on iTunes and Google Play. Our latest episode features Radiance Harris of Radiance IP Law in Washington DC. We discuss hashtag trademarks and tips for introverted attorneys.
Friend Me, Snap Me, Watch Me
- Snapchat was hit with a patent lawsuit the same day they filed their initial public offering. A Canadian investment fund is claiming the right to their "Geofilters."
- The patent trolls are at it again- the victim this time? Netflix.
- Facebook was just ordered to pay a whopping $500 million in a suit over virtual reality technology. $50M of that is for copyright infringement. Why?
Lawyers for Good
- News organizations aren't the only ones being bombarded with "alternative facts."
- A big law associate went viral over the weekend for all the right reasons.
- Today is an important day for the President's executive order on immigration. Oral arguments in the case will live stream starting at 3pm PT here.
- Several legal tech companies, ABA groups, and legal organizations have teamed up to create this wonderful resource for lawyers looking to volunteer.
- Trademarks have popped up in an interesting place- a groundbreaking tax trial over Michael Jackson's estate.
- Beyonce is pregnant with twins. She hasn't filed trademark applications for her unborn but Bey did just file for a second trademark application for Blue Ivy's name.
- Twitter has been a buzz about a supposed trademark battle between Kylie Jenner and Kylie Minogue. But Kylie Jenner lost the battle all on her own.
Odds and Ends
- Did you watch the Super Bowl- I mean, the Big Game- this weekend?
- A Ukrainian network of individuals living with HIV/AIDS are attempting to invalidate a patent for an HIV treatment drug.
- The USPTO will begin to randomly audit declarations of use.
- Tesla quietly changed a new logo after being challenged by Adidas.
See you next time!
The Alt Legal Team