Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to email@example.com.
Schedule a demo or training here.
Alt Trademarks is back! Listen to our interview with Ryan Morrison of Morrison Lee. We talk video games and Reddit AMAs. Check out the episode here.
I Have Something To Say
- United Airlines has won a copyright and trademark infringement suit against Untied.com, a website cataloging complaints against the company from the past 20 years.
- Four of the top ten Supreme Court cases with the most amicus briefs are intellectual property cases.
- Ivanka Trump will testify in a trademark infringement case over her shoe design.
- How exactly is Facebook planning to detect our moods and emotions?
- John Oliver and HBO are the targets of a defamation suit following Oliver's segment about the CEO of Murray Energy Corporation. Another one of his most well-known takedowns was the show's piece on patent trolls.
- Gene Simmons has already abandoned his trademark application for the devil horns hand gesture.
- Apple is missing some trademark applications. We have some ideas about why that might be the case.
- Following the recent Slants decision, there was a rush to file arguably scandalous applications. The USPTO released a Section 2(a) examination guide that might shed some light on the fate of these applications.
What a Picture
- A company has sued over 70 companies for allegedly infringing on their patent for picture menus. A court just threw out their patent.
- McMansion Hell, an architectural criticism blog, just received a cease and desist from Zillow for using photos from their site.
- A California couple is fighting to oppose Snapchat's "geofilter" trademark application.
Odds and Ends
- A South Korean architect is suing the designers of the Freedom Tower for infringing on his 1999 graduate thesis.
- A New York judge held that "no reasonable attorney" would have sued news organizations for broadcasting clips of childbirth from Facebook Live.
- Louboutin is back in court over their trademark red soles and, this case looks promising.
- Amazon filed a patent for a literal drone hive.
- Microsoft has a plan (and a patent) for stopping laptop thieves.
See you next week!
The Alt Legal Team