Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments. Get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule a demo or training here.
New Alt Trademarks episode alert! This episode I spoke with Erik Pelton about his unique practice, being an examiner, and mentoring young attorneys. Check out the episode here (be sure to check out his new website, too).
- Levi's is suing Vineyard Vines over a tab with a small image of a whale on the back pocket of their jeans.
- Chanel's logo resulted in the cancellation of a registration for an "interlocking figurative design."
- The Supreme Court denied Louis Vuitton's appeal to hear their case over parody tote bags.
- Just in time for Halloween, there is a copyright infringement lawsuit over banana costumes.
The Big Game
- Some people are already beginning to prepare for the next Superbowl, but they should be careful when it comes to IP.
- Pepsi was unsuccessful in their attempt to get a lawsuit over their 2016 Superbowl ad dismissed.
- More than 22 years after filing, an application to register the Boston Redskins logo was approved.
Outside the US
- Will Singapore be the next intellectual property hub?
- China launched a four-month campaign to try to better protect foreign intellectual property rights.
- The breadth of a PTO ethics opinion could changes how US attorneys interact with foreign counsel.
- A Korean boy band is in hot water over similarities between their song and a Chainsmokers & Coldplay song.
Odds and Ends
- A three-Michelin-starred restaurant is suing two former employees, who have started their own restaurant, for theft of trade secrets, amongst other violations.
- If you need a quick distraction, this Twitter account's list of bizarre laws and crimes is a great choice.
- A man is claiming his therapist stole his idea for a dating app.
- For anyone in California, we will be heading to Long Beach for the ABAIPL's IP West Conference on October 11th. Come join us! More info here.