Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments. Get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to email@example.com.
Schedule a demo or training here.
Check out our latest episode of Alt Trademarks. I spoke with Erik Pelton about his unique practice, being an examiner, and mentoring young attorneys. Check out the episode here (be sure to check out his new website too).
- In case you need a last minute costume idea, I'd suggest a patented dino outfit made for one or for two.
- I have linked to it before, but just in case you missed it, this is a great video about how a copyright mistake in Night of the Living Dead created the modern zombie.
- The patented Tootsie Roll was once used as a WWII energy bar.
- If Inter Partes Reviews are found to be unconstitutional, could there be zombie patents? Maybe they could team up with the zombie trademarks.
- Check out some spooktacular Halloween trademark registrations.
- Is your Halloween costume infringing on copyrights?
- The USPTO has been celebrating creepy IP on Twitter and with a Reddit AMA.
Regularly Scheduled Programming
- Hasbro has filed a trademark application for the smell of Play-Doh. The deadline to respond to an office action for the application is approaching; check it out here.
- A Virginia federal judge awarded the USPTO $76,000 in attorneys' fees, despite the fact that the USPTO lost the case at hand.
- Is this trademark application for ALMOND BUTTER merely descriptive or generic? Maybe not.
- In Germany, Ritter has defended and is currently defending their monopoly on square chocolate bars.
- A company called Characters for Hire, LLC cited the Naked Cowboy case in their motion for summary judgment in an ongoing copyright and trademark infringement case against Disney.
- Are gold iPhones in our future? A patent suggests so.
- A couple of years ago, a bar snatched up a trademark registration for "Geographical Center of North America" after a nearby town allowed their rights to lapse. The two are now battling over the title in a cancellation proceeding.
- In New York? Join us for a meetup on November 9th! More details here.
Stay spooky and see you next week!
The Alt Legal Team