Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments. Get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule a demo or training here.
Check out our latest episode of Alt Trademarks. This episode features Josh Jarvis of Foley Hoag. We discuss his role at the firm and his appearance in the recent "Don't Say Velcro" video.
- The creator of the song "Harlem Shake" is exploring all possible legal options for the takedown of Ajit Pai's video that uses the song.
- Erik Brunetti was successful in his appeal of a TTAB decision refusing his FUCT trademark application. The Federal Circuit found Section 2(a)'s bar on immoral and scandalous marks to be unconstitutional.
- If you need a bit of comic relief, check out this pro se lawsuit against the President and the Secret Service, including claims of patent infringement, which we found via Keith Lee's Twitter.
Something to Listen to
- Justin Timberlake will play the Superbowl in a couple of months, and a new trademark application hints he may have a new album in the works.
- Apple is hard at work making sure your digital assistant knows when to whisper back.
- Is Uber going to join the ranks of generic trademarks?
'Tis the Season
- Get in the holiday spirit with this copyright tale of a (very) grown-up Cindy-Lou Who.
- Still looking for holiday gifts for the lawyers in your life? Check out this guide or maybe some Christmas-themed patents.
- On January 1st, the Copyright Office will go live with their new online directory of agents appointed under the DMCA. At that time, any previous appointments will expire and no longer be valid.
- As 2017 wraps up, check out the top trademark rulings of the year.
Odds and Ends
- The decision in Star Athletica v. Varsity Brands has already had some surprising consequences.
- According to a recent complaint, a fake law firm misappropriated practitioner identities in order to deceive inventors.
- Google is getting into the babysitting business.
- Long read: Check out this interesting essay on the reciprocal relationship between trademark and copyright law.
- Are you smarter than a 2L? If you are feeling ambitious over the holidays, take this patent exam to see what some students were asked this semester.
- There will be no digest next week, as I'll be celebrating the holidays with my family. Happy holiday wishes to you and yours!
See you in January!
The Alt Legal Team