Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to email@example.com.
Schedule a demo or training here.
New episode alert!
Check out our latest episode of Alt Trademarks. This episode features Lauren D. Shinn of WIPO. We discuss her role at WIPO and recent updates to the UDRP.
- Last week was a whirlwind for H&M. A graffiti artist after his work appeared in an H&M ad campaign. H&M responded with a lawsuit, which led to a boycott and ultimately a withdrawal of their complaint.
- Two companies that make supportive maternity wear are in a trademark dispute over the phrase "sport support."
- Levi's is suing several Chinese companies for trademark infringement and may also soon be subject to trade war tariffs.
- There is a new Banksy piece in NYC. Many Banksy pieces get removed and sold at auctions for six-figure sums. Banksy disapproves of the practice but hasn't ever taken legal action, though he has said that copyright law is "for losers."
- McLaren was granted a trademark registration for 'McLaren GT.' Is this a clue about their next car or something else?
Parties, Bunnies, and a Mockingbird
- A founding member of The Last Poets sued the estate of Notorious B.I.G and Rita Ora over the repeated hook "party and bulls**t" in 2016. The case was just dismissed, with the judge noting all four fair use factors.
- The writers at Last Week Tonight released a book about Marlon Bundo, the White House rabbit, to compete with a book written by Mike Pence's daughter. Here's a quick Twitter legal analysis.
- Harper Lee's estate is suing Aaron Sorkin over his adaptation of To Kill a Mockingbird, claiming the play deviates from the book.
Odds and Ends
- Tinder's parent company is suing Bumble for patent infringement. They recently filed suit against Tantan as well. The CEO of Bumble responded by calling the company "bullies" and stating that "no matter the price tag," they will not be bought.
- The ABA released new guidelines for combatting sexual harassment.
- Check out this interesting compilation of alphabetical design trademarks and symbols.
- Can states regulate drug costs without violating patent law?
- This is a great in-depth look at the laws behind a pending $1.6 billion lawsuit against Spotify, which were originally created to protect piano players.
See you next week!
The Alt Legal Team