Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments. Get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to email@example.com.
Check out our latest episode of Alt Trademarks. This episode features Lauren D. Shinn of WIPO. We discuss her role at WIPO and recent updates to the UDRP.
- Advocates of the Music Modernization Act believe the legislation will benefit the music industry as a whole and increase fairness for independent musicians.
- Last week, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a jury verdict for Marvin Gaye in a case against Pharrell and Robin Thicke. This post breaks down the decision, including some key points from a fiery dissent.
- Tyler, the Creator, is being sued for $750k for the alleged unauthorized use of a sample of a 1971 soul song.
- As a potential trade war looms, $50 billion of Chinese goods were targeted with tariffs, possibly as a retaliation for intellectual property abuse in Beijing.
- These tariffs raise the question, how much has the U.S. lost from intellectual property theft in China?
- This episode of All Things Considered dives into the stake China has in American intellectual property.
Pizza, Games, & Movies
- An interesting trademark dispute is brewing between a YouTuber and Domino's pizza over a Domino's car he rebuilt after an accident.
- Fortnite, a video game that recently got a lot of attention from a live stream, could file many potential trademark applications, but the ones they are choosing to file may give more insight into the game.
Odds and Ends
- Many articles were written last week about Amazon's new patent but this one has my favorite headline: "Amazon patents delivery drones that can react to people screaming and flailing."
- The internet has been buzzing with rumors about the "Yeezy" trademark. This great article breaks down why those rumors are fashion fake news.
- A specimen on the trademark application for "Cambridge Analytica" could offer some clues about their activity and spending.
- Does the new "Glade Atmosphere Collection" logo remind you of anything?
See you next week!
The Alt Legal Team
Schedule a demo or training here.