Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments, delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
High Brow, Low Brow
- Tiffany's recently brought their trademark blue to the streets of NYC.
- Oscar Mayer launched a "Bacoin" ad campaign but almost instantly received a cease and desist, which resulted in a happy ending.
- Kendall Jenner's new music show has sparked a trademark dispute over "Pizza Boys." This is a great look at most of the legal woes the Kardashian-Jenner family has faced due to copycat claims.
Some Kind of Celebrity
- For reasons unknown, a movie about the monkey selfie case is in the works.
- TTAB has dismissed Dr. Dre's opposition to "DR DRAI" for health-related services.
- A judge after my own heart used a GIF to express his dissatisfaction with "faux drama inbriefing."
Trademarks Here, There, and Everywhere
- Here's a look back at the last six months in trademarks.
- Heading to INTA in Seattle? Check out Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4 of the Trademark and Copyright Law Blog's Seattle trademark history tour.
- A flood of trademark applications from China, possibly fueled by government subsidies, is alarming US officials.
Odds and Ends
- Nikola Motors is suing Tesla, alleging infringement of their design patents. Check out some helpful images and analysis here.
- Walt Disney Co.'s efforts to extend copyright protections have served that company well, but the efforts have caused other important works, like Zora Neale Hurston's new book, to be lost in a legal limbo.
- A trademark dispute, or rather a misunderstanding of trademark rights, made the rounds on Twitter this week. #CockyGate
- 12 artists are suing the city of Memphis for removing some of their murals and threatening to remove more. They are represented by the attorney who obtained a $6.7 million dollar verdict in the 5Pointz case.
See you next week!
The Alt Legal Team
Schedule a demo or training here.