Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments. Get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Does this ketchup bottle remind you of something?
- Ritz is suing a Chinese company who produces a lookalike product for trademark infringement and MillerCoors is suing a Korean beer company over similarities to their Miller Lite branding.
- Inspired by INTA 2018, this is a great read on what it takes to protect the Starbucks brand.
Curse Words, Jokes, and Sex Toys
- The newest Deadpool movie cracks jokes at the expense of most of the intellectual property in the DC and Marvel universes.
- The MTA is reviewing Cynthia Nixon's new subway t-shirts for potential trademark misuse.
- Toys-R-Us is auctioning off their intellectual property as they liquidate the company. Some interesting domain names like sex-toys-r-us.com are up for grabs.
- Brandless, a company with minimal branding, was denied trademark protection for their packaging design.
- The TTAB shut down the NJ Turnpike Authority's opposition to a pizza restaurant's logo.
- After an outpouring of support for a local barber, a national chain walked back their request that he change his business' name.
-Match is setting their Tinder dispute with Tantan.
Odds and Ends
- Is Amazon complicit in the widespread counterfeiting on their site?
- Play-Doh received a trademark registration for the scent of Play-Doh, which they describe as a "sweet, slightly musky, vanilla fragrance, with slight overtones of cherry, combined with the smell of a salted, wheat-based dough."
- The EFF created a science fiction story about a fair use petition to the Copyright Office.
- A German court ruled that a TV show cannot use "bloopers" from another network without permission.
- The creator of a Star Trek and Dr. Seuss mashup beat trademark claims largely due to a judge's mashup of a 1986 Federico Fellini film and the Fox hip-hop drama Empire.
See you next week!
The Alt Legal Team
Schedule a demo or training here.