Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments. Get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to email@example.com.
I was doing a bit of post INTA travel yesterday, so for just this week, we have a Wednesday newsletter!
- Following the TC Heartland v. Kraft Foods decision, the number of patent lawsuits in East Texas has plummeted.
- In advance of the 10 millionth utility patent, the USPTO has prepared a pretty comprehensive animated timeline detailing the history of patents in the U.S.
- Some argue that design patents result in increasing and disproportionately high costs to innovative companies.
- The makers of Sesame Street are suing the makers of a new raunchy comedy starring Melissa McCarthy and her puppet partner.
- Japan wants to teach children how to patent their ideas.
- Alphabet's Life Sciences division has filed a patent application for a "smart diaper" that can tell liquids and solids apart.
How Does That Work?
- As concern over AI intellectual property theft increase, how do human detectives catch the thieves?
- How can you tell the difference between homage and copyright infringement? Julie Zerbo explains.
- How will the GDPR impact the fight against fake luxury items?
Odds and Ends
- 23andMe and Ancestry are in a dispute over a patented technology that dates back to the 1940s. Because "ancestry is so hot right now," the dispute has the potential to reshape the genetic genealogy testing industry.
- HBO used the de minimus copyright exception to win an infringement suit against a graffiti artist.
- Yesterday was National Biscuit Day, and one of the Supreme Court's most influential trademark decisions happens to be biscuit related.
- China approved 13 trademark registrations for Ivanka Trump in 3 months. When asked about this, she abruptly left a conference call with reporters.
- A federal judge approved the settlement Spotify's $112.5 million class-action copyright lawsuit settlement.
See you next week!
The Alt Legal Team
Schedule a demo or training here.