Welcome to Alt Legal IP News, a weekly digest of IP news and developments. Get it delivered right to your inbox.
If you have an article or update you think we’d like, please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is That a Good Idea?
- Ford filed a patent application for a steering wheel that converts into a laptop holder.
- A man recently received a UK trademark registration for a character mashup of a Disney character and a world leader. He sought the registration because "he enjoys provoking major brands with his trademark applications." He doesn't mind provoking the IP office either.
- The La Liga app, used by Spanish fans to stream soccer matches, has been using microphones on the fans' phones to detect unauthorized game broadcasts.
- An artist released "This is Nigeria" weeks after the video for "This is America" was released. Is the song a parody or possible copyright infringement?
- Could Pusha T's Drake diss track land him in court?
- After 11 years, the parties are settling in the case involving a toddler dancing to Prince in a video uploaded to YouTube.
Robots & AI
- Universal is looking to improve their theme park characters with patented AI technology.
- The USPTO Director says that a robot army of patent examiners won't be taking over any time soon.
- Uber wants to use AI to detect whether or not a passenger is drunk before getting in the car.
Odds and Ends
- The Velcro legal team is back with a video responding to comments from their viral "Don't Say Velcro" campaign.
- Have the copyright wars, arguing whether authors' or readers' rights should be paramount, obscured other important copyright issues?
- From McSweeney's, these are classic rock notes... from legal.
- Flag Day is June 14th, so now is a good time to read up on the rules of using flags in trademark registrations.
- IP + Pride Month: This is a great long read about the intersection of IP and gender and how the next 10 years of scholarship in the field can incorporate more feminist and queer insights.
See you next week!
Hannah from Alt Legal
Schedule a demo or training here.